8/16/08

Snowed in in Craigeburn!

So on Friday of last week I drove up to a club field that specialized in the nut-cracker style of rope tow and claiming the largest off-piste access in the country. After sleeping at the base of it Thursday night I made the gnarly drive up to the lodge and ticket office. The sign at the bottom said the road was unsuitable for camper vans but I figured I would give it a shot. There were two serious avalanche paths that cross the road with giant warning signs stating no stopping! Every bend left me feeling like I should think about parking it and hiking the rest of the way, but I just kept on truckin' and the next thing I know I'm in the car park. So I do some chores and get my gear together, it had been raining quite hard on my van the night before so I figured the snow would be fresh. Unfortunately it was still cloudy so the visibility was crap, the nut crackers were super fast and difficult and the snow was extremely crusty...so I attempted at getting my money back. As Jamie the ticket booth man explained there were no option for refunds or transfers so I should try to have some fun! After realizing my glove protector was upside down it made getting attached to the rope way easier. After skiing a few runs by brale I went into the lodge. It was basically myself and a few lodge guests, maybe 3 or 4, and the staff crew of 4 that day. Almost everybody was super friendly and when the clouds broke I could see the mountain was sick! So long story short because I have a seat on a heli at 8:30 in the morning; I ended up staying at Craigeburn for the whole week with some great times and some rough times but overall an amazing experience! There are more stories from the past week plus more from tomorrow the next time I get a chance to get some internet time! CHEERS!

1 comment:

Ian said...

Sounds like you're having some great adventures Al. I hope you are documenting this with photos and video? You should post what you can on your facebook or this blog.